So I have made pizza before on the grill but never gotten a good dough out or even given it a good try. So after reading and watching videos I thought I would try my hand at a "Neapolitan style pizza dough". Airy puffy sides and crispy outside and fluffy on the inside.
The "problem" is that you need to make the dough about 4 days before. So I made mine Tuesday for Fridays BBQ.
Neapolitan Pizza dough
This makes about 2 normal size pizzas that will make anyone full...
283 grams of flour, fine grain (if possible).
6 grams of salt
4 grams of instant yeast (torrjäst)
212 grams of water.
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Mix in water and combine until no flour remains on the sides or bottom of bowl.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap or something and let rest 8-12 hours in room temp
- Put into fridge for 2-4 days.
- Take out of fridge 2 hours before you are making pizzas and portion the dough into 2 equal balls and put under plastic wrap in room temperature.
- When you make your balls into pizzas, dont use a rolling pin, or you will squish all the air out, instead push gently with fingers and then stretch the dough! Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7Qusvea_Q
So I make my own pizza sauce because it's easy, pure tomatoes, add garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil to taste. Heat on stove and you are DONE!
Spread sauce on pizza!
I added Ricotta and Mozzarella on my pizzas.
Then added caramelized red onions, some mushrooms and minced meat with Italian spices (Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Paprika, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Thyme, Red pepper flakes. I kinda wing the amounts. Just mix it with the minced meat.)
The second pizza was tomato sauce, mozz, ricotta, mushrooms and covered it with thinly sliced salami.
Make sure your oven/BBQ is really really hot about 250-300 degrees Celsius. And buy a pizza stone!
Makes the pizza so much better, the heat transfers better to the dough and it cooks much more even.
Look at that pretty pretty pizza... mmm hungry again now..
And perfectl cooked underneath.
Obligatory side pic of the dough after cutting and chowing it down! :)
Salami pizza! We took this one of the grill a bit earlier and the dough came out even better, not as crispy and much fluffier.
All in all me and Sara were full and very very happy. Jesus this is much better than pizza you buy out. I mean you can't even compare. Sure it takes some time and when you are hungover this is not really what you start putting together but for a planned romantic dinner or just a fancy pizza dinner this is worth every effort believe me!
The only hard part is getting the dough right and there are a lot of dough recipes out there that are much easier to follow and make than this (Just search no-knead pizza dough!).
//Stay full my friends!